The San Jose law office of Vivian Carlson offers low cost divorce alternatives to those seeking to keep their costs to a minimum:
- Educate yourself about the divorce process. It will help you ask your lawyer the right questions. It will help you decide what is worth fighting over, and what isn’t. Superior Court websites are an excellent source for information.
- Hire an affordable lawyer. There is a large range of per hour fees. There are lawyers who will charge a flat fee for certain services. Shop around.
- You can avoid using lawyers. Superior Courts in California have self-help clinics to help with document preparation.
- Use a lawyer in a limited fashion. You may need help on a few steps in the process. This is called limited scope representation. Read the article in this website about limited scope representation.
- If you and your spouse/domestic partner, are willing to cooperate and maintain a goal of working together on your legal matter, consider the use of a mediator. Mediation, by definition, aims to keep emotional issues on the backburner and is a huge cost saver. Mediation link above.
- Many attorneys offer low cost fee structures, also known as sliding scale fees. Vivian Carlson provides low cost family law and divorce proceedings services to her clients.